Saturday, October 16, 2010

Salad for Susanna

You probably already know that I enjoy cooking. I enjoy being creative and the challenge of figuring out recipes on my own. I enjoy the time to think while I'm in the kitchen. I enjoy making guests happy. And I really enjoy eating! Some of my favorite hours in life have been sharing with friends around a table.

Someone asked me last week what my specialty is. I thought for a moment and the only answer I could come up with is making something up out of whatever is in the frig at the moment. I often deviate from recipes and make substitutions. This salad has been one of my favorites since I moved to Ukraine, but it was not until a friend brought the recipe over to make for a New Year's Eve celebration that I have been able to make it on my own. Since then I haven't felt the need to alter it at all.

This recipe is for my friend Susanna who has lived in Ukraine for the last two years. She is leaving Kyiv in a week and I will miss the times around the table drinking tea, discussing life as an expat and thinking about how to live well.

Korean* Carrot Salad

1 kilogram grated/shredded carrots
4 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 head of garlic, minced

Mix all the ingredients together. Let sit for one hour before serving.

*I am not entirely sure why this Ukrainian salad is considered Korean. I never had anything similar to it during my two years in Korea. However, Korea is a large country and there are many regional dishes, so I could have just missed it. If any of my Ukrainian or Korean friends have an explanation, I'd love to hear it.

3 comments:

Susanna said...

I love this one and am going to make it for my family when I get home! :)

josieO said...

This is similar to Oksana's favorite, only she adds more garlic and walnuts, so really, it's an entirely different salad.

Lois Thorpe said...

That sounds nice. I'd like to try Oksana's version.